Friday, September 16, 2011

The Road Im On

Yesterday, I was so lucky to get to go to the Rascal Flatts concert.  My wonderful boyfriend bought the both of us tickets for my birthday.  I am obsessed with country music, and Rascal Flatts would have to be my favorite country band.  I love them!  And I love them even more now that I know what an amazing concert they put on!
I was first introduced to Rascal Flatts back in high school.  I had heard a few of their songs and I liked them.  But there was one song of theirs that REALLY made me fall in love with them.  I actually wrote about it in a previous blog about music and how there seems to be a song attached to so many memories in my life.  "Bless The Broken Road"...is definitely one of those songs.  When I was 15 years old, I experienced my first real heartbreak.  My boyfriend (who I really hadn't been with too long-but really liked), broke up with me out of nowhere.  Needless to say, I was devastated.  I found myself questioning what I had done wrong, and being extremely hard on myself.  I was convinced that no one would ever love me and that I had some sort of problem.  My mom, being the amazing woman that she is, heard "Bless the Broken Road" and shared it with me one day after school.  She told me that she had heard this song and she wanted me to be encouraged by it.  She told me that one day I would figure out why none of these relationships ever worked out-because God had a plan for exactly who I was supposed to be with, and he would bless that broken road.  At 15, I definitely thought she was wrong.  I was convinced no one would ever love me and I would die alone.  Silly, I'm aware, but I couldn't help it.  I experienced a few more heartbreaks along the way...and each time I listened to that song and tried to remind myself that it wasn't meant to be.
Last night, I slow danced under the stars to "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts with my boyfriend of  over five years.  You wouldn't think a concert would be emotional, or spark such strong feelings, but that moment really did for me.  I honestly welled up with tears as we swayed back and forth, and I sang along with the words.  I felt so lucky looking back on my road and seeing where I came from and where I am now.   I feel incredibly blessed to have my guy in my life, and I felt that so much in that moment.  Same song, several years later, entirely different meaning in my life.  God blessed my broken road, and led me straight into those loving arms.  I am incredibly grateful for his plan, and for all the things that never worked out before.


"Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"

   I Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment